CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 6, 2009

And So the Journey Begins....

"Music, once admitted to the soul, becomes a sort of spirit, and never dies."
~Edward George Bulwer-Lytton


Music has been around since the beginning of time. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of genres of music in the world now. Regardless of your age or where you're from, chances are there is some kind of music you enjoy listening to- be it classical, country, Christian or reggae. There is simply something about music that human nature cannot live without, and although music has gone through many changes over the centuries, and still continues to change, it contains a certain unexplainable power over people, and we simply have to have it.

I've grown up listening to all kinds of music. My grandparents are classically trained musicians, my father is a band director, and his sister is a choir director. Music is in my blood. I would like to think I have a wide variety of musical interests....I like anything from Mozart to Brad Paisley. As long as the artist is actually singing and not screaming, I'm pretty accepting of any and all music. I have actually created a playlist with some of my favorite songs for you, some that are classics, and some just personal favorites. However, the more I learn about the history of music, I am constantly introduced to new genres of music that I never knew about. It is truly fascinating all of the incredible music out in our world, new and old, that does not get due credit.

This blog is intended to do exactly what the title of it says....I will be taking a journey through the history of music, covering many famous genres that were crucial to the music industry, and to the world, and present some new, or uncommon, ones as well. In today's society, people turn on the radio and listen to whatever is on "American Top 40" or "Top 20 Country Countdown," and that is all they ever listen to. The musical classics are being lost throughout the generations- honestly, does any current high school kid listen regularly to Bach, Duke Ellington, or even The Beatles? I want to reintroduce the grand musicians, and recapture the true essence of music. I will also be adding to my playlist with each blog entry, including songs from that entry's "feature genre," so you can not only learn about different types of music, but listen to it as well. The current songs on the playlist are just some of my personal favorites. My goal in this blog is to expand my own appreciation for all types of music, from all different time periods, and I hope you'll join me in this journey through time and music....

Playlist: Songs 161-165

0 comments: